Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Debbie Reynolds (and Elizabeth Taylor)


When she was a little girl, my mother had a paper doll of Debbie Reynolds. She thought that Debbie Reynolds was the prettiest woman in the world.


I was always a bigger Elizabeth Taylor fan, and I felt you kind of had to choose between them. Were you Team Debbie or Team Elizabeth? I loved "Singin' in the Rain" starring Debbie, but I loved way more of Elizabeth's movies (Butterfield 8, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Suddenly Last Summer). Back then, Debbie was Jennifer Aniston and Elizabeth was Angelina Jolie and ol' what's-his-name was Brad Pitt.


Even though Elizabeth stole Debbie's husband, the women eventually made up and even starred in a movie together in their old(er) age. I've realized you don't have to be Team Debbie or Team Elizabeth. I like them both! Who says you can't enjoy both Coca-Cola and vodka tonics? Everything has its time and place. Debbie's is being sweetly romanced by Gene Kelly. Elizabeth's is wearing a white slip.


7 comments:

Emmylou said...

I love both actresses, but I must admit I'm on Team Debbie coz, you know...Singin in the rain...

Shybiker said...

You're right. Back then, everyone had to choose between them, like the later cultural choice between The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. But, in truth, as you observe, it was a false dichotomy. We're looking at two female celebrities/role-models, in the dawning of the age of fame, who were more alike than different.

Peaches McGinty said...

oooof! no, I couldn't pick, but you are right, I never thought about it like that, it was like Anniston/Jolie - so glad they made up though x x x

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Great post! I can truly understand both of them and their situations. I've always liked both. Im glad they got together in the end.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Natalie said...

Debbie Renolds is so adorable!

❤Tallia
Trending In Fashion
Dressale Giveaway

Sonya Mann said...

Siiiiiingin' in the rain. . . I've actually never seen any of Elizabeth Taylor's movies. I know, I know.

Melancholy and Menace said...

I couldn't possibly choose between the two, they were both equally beautiful and telented.