Friday, August 30, 2013

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Ever love a movie as a kid and then realize that it is really not okay? For me, that movie is "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." (Massive total spoiler alerts coming in case you want to watch it on your own.)


 And, okay, I still love this movie. It's so colorful and fun and it has cheesy musical numbers, and I adore cheesy musical numbers.


But it also has the following plot: Seven brothers who live way out in the country kidnap seven townie chicks because they want to marry them. (Wait. They just kidnap six because the oldest brother already married a townie chick who was fed up with the town.) Kidnapping is wrong! It's not right! The oldest brother's wife is super sassy and tells them they're crazy, but there's been an avalanche, and the girls are stuck in the country until spring. So the men get kicked out of the house and have to live in the barn, and then... everyone falls in love. It's very Beauty and the Beast/Stockholm Syndrome.


So when the snow melts, the townsmen come back to claim their girlfriends/sisters/daughters. And the girls don't want to go! They're in love. Then they all claim the wife's baby is their own. Then they all get married in a shotgun wedding for six. What is that about? How is that okay? 


It's not. It's not okay. And, yet, this movie is still all right by me. 

6 comments:

Peaches McGinty said...

haha! it's true! I watched it for the FIRST time about 6 months ago, and I loved it despite the dubious kidnappings, it's the older brothers wife keeping them all in check, and then her husband leaves her (I think), I love it too! x

Melancholy and Menace said...

I always loved this movie as a child, but didn't realise it was so wrong - I can't imagine it ever being remade without the brothers having to spend the duration of the movie behind bars:O

Jane said...

i totally watched this growing up and loved the barn dance scene and going courtin. my mom loved old musicals so we always watched them growing up! i was thrifting the other day and came across a vinyl of the student prince, which my mother also loved :) but yes! you think of the storyline now and it's like.. waah? :)

Witchcrafted Life said...

This was one of the first vintage movies I remember seeing as child (along with such classics as The Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain, White Christmas, and Meet me in St. Louis). I loved it then, and I love it now. There's so many smile-inducing moments throughout the whole wonderful film.

Have an awesome weekend, dear gal!
♥ Jessica

Hollie Black-Ramsey said...

When I was younger my dad had weekend custody of me. When he went to work, I was home alone with nothing to do. I found a VHS of that movie in a cabinet and fell in love. I would watch it to the end, rewind it and watch it again all weekend (and Calamity Jane with Doris Day). I haven't seen this movie in sooooooooo long!!!!

The Grande Dame said...

Ha! That does sound really weird actually. I think I'll be ok with not seeing this film now. The costumes look like fun though.