Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Take me down to Panama City

Mary is one of my best friends in the world, and she had the audacity to fall in love and move away from me to Alabama where she now lives with her husband and son. (She has a son! It's crazy! But it's not because she's an adult woman! It is actually normal! Which makes it even crazier to me!)


So I thought when Robert and I came to visit, we would all be hanging out together in Alabama, but we ended up all hanging out together in Florida (which is right next to Alabama and yet somehow worlds away in my mind) at her mom's beach condo. I wore that outfit all the time. It is my new gingham bathing suit. It is gingham-licious.


Don't I look like a picnic blanket? But in a good way?


Here's a little closeup of my thrifted cat-eye sunglasses. I've wanted cat-eye sunglasses for-evah, and now I have some, but I think I still want some even cattier cat-eye sunglasses so the hunt continues.


It was a great visit. The beach shifted from sunny to cloudy to sunny again. I have to admit I dig a cloudy beach the most. I know most people like to bake in the sun, but I like a little cloud cover, and I love that shade of blue-gray the sky gets before it rains especially when the ocean is mimicking the color. So very pretty. (In the above photo, Robert, Mary and Michael are off to have some fun in the (not very sunny) sun.)


 The condo was in Panama City, and I had "Paradise City" in my head for the entire trip because that almost makes sense. I visited the Gulf of Mexico about 10 years ago, and it was beautiful then and beautiful now. The sand is powder soft and the waves are really relaxed. Once a day, the sun sets, which is a pretty magnificent thing to watch. (I also hear it rises once a day, but I wasn't up for that!)


Mary's mom and her husband's parents took care of their little one during our beach trip. It was Mary's first time away from Wesley (10 months), and she missed him, but both baby and mama survived and had fun. Aren't they so sweet together? I call this photo "Mary and child" for obvious reasons.


The above fortune really sums up our trip (and came after a delicious Thai meal with old friends which was agreeable indeed). It was so sad to leave Mary (and child and Michael, Mary's husband) and drive the seven hours back home. I have really wonderful friends who live nearby, but my three favorites (I'm including my sister) all live far away. I'm glad I was able to visit them all this summer (in California, Virginia and Alabama/Florida respectively). When you find a really awesome friend, I think you should hold on to them no matter what. That's what phones and Facebook and seven-hour-long road trips are for!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing beats having fun with your best friend! Both of you look adorable in your swimsuits! Mary's baby is so cute!! I am foinf away with a good girlfriend too next month and i can't wait :)
Thanks for your kind words on my blog! Definitely visit portland during the summer time and you won't regret it :)

ps I'm following you on GFC, follow back? :)

Emmylou said...

Aaaaaw...Mary and her baby are too cute for words:)
It's always lovely to see posts like this. Great friends and great setting...can't ask for anything more. And I agree...cloudy versus uber-hot on the beach is much more preferable for me, too:)

Vix said...

Goodness me, what a glorious beach! xxx

Emma Kate at Paint and Style said...

That's an utterly gorgeous retro swimsuit! Tres cute!

Loulou said...

Lucky you! The beach looks excellent. So nice that you could have such a visit with your old friend. Must have been really fun. Love your gingham bather.

Bekka said...

I recently travelled from the UK to Florida to visit one of my best friends, and I definitely agree that once you find a lifelong friend you should do your best to keep in touch with them. It looks like you had a lovely time, and I love your swimsuit - picnic-esque or not!

Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} said...

Looks like a fun day!! Love the bathing suits you guys are wearing! Classy but sexy! :)
~Sara
Sincerely, Sara

Witchcrafted Life said...

Your swimsuit is super-duper darling! You look so cute!!! It does look a bit like a classic picnic basket, but that's not a bad things at all. There's a reason red and white gingham has been a beloved classic for so many decades now.

♥ Jessica

Peaches McGinty said...

you have a great blog! I love your gingham swimsuit and sunnies, the pictures are so beautiful x I'll be back! x

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

Take me down to Panama City.. Where the girls are pretty.. now i am going to have that song stuck in my head. lol

Sounds like you had such a fun trip and I love your super cute swim suit

Ofelia said...

You do look gingham-licious! The beach is as gorgeous as the ones here in South Florida and I also prefer a beach with some clouds since I'm already brown enough and don't require much sun exposure.

Connie said...

Ah. Old Friends! A picnic blanket in a very good way!

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Cute bathing suits!

ALLIE NYC said...

Oh wow that beach is spectacular! And yes weird huh when all friends start having kids.

Ali of

Dressing Ken

Thrifted Shift said...

Great suit! Very cute! So glad you got to go on vacation with your friends!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Looks like a great time, and cute swimsuit!

silvergirl said...

Grew up going to the gulf coast every summer
Nothing like those beaches!
Brett

rooth said...

You're so right about holding on to friends like that - I'm glad you had a good time