Monday, February 11, 2013

I heart blogs


This is a picture of me wearing a thrifted dress and cardigan (and non-thrifted leggings and boots) in my backyard.

My best friend's husband is a Buddhist who hiked the Appalachian Trail and yearns for hermit-hood (No hermit-hood happening though because he is in love with and married to my best friend. He proposed to her by giving her a harmonica. They were married by a Justice of the Peace in their living room and took their wedding pictures in a big field looking like supermodels because they are both gorgeous. But I am way digressing here.) Anyway, my best friend's husband was like (and I am paraphrasing) "There are blogs where girls just take pictures of their clothes?" He was baffled. Baffled, I say.

Yes. Yes there are. It is perhaps silly. It is perhaps awesome. What is the deal with these blogs?



I ask myself this questions sometimes. Usually when I am posting pictures of myself wearing an outfit. As you can see above, the outfit is awesome. I love those hearts so much. I am all about graphic prints these days.


I love fashion and style and individuality. Trends bore the bejesus out of me (and, for the most part, so do trendy people), but fashion fascinates me. For me, fashion belongs in the same category of culture as all the other things I love: books, movies, music, art. I love these things, and I love immersing myself in these things and talking about these things and blogging about these things.


Life can be really heavy and stressful. I need art and silliness and frivolity to lift me out of my own brain and give me a little perspective. (Pictured above: Boots that make me feel like a turn-of-the-century newsboy. And also: perspective.)


I really hate the media's emphasis on beauty. I really hate the idea that there is only one kind of pretty. I love fashion, but magazines also make me feel a little bit yucky. The women are so thin. Everyone seems to be taking themselves so seriously. Blogs, on the other hand, are created by a variety of women who, for the most part (at least when it comes to the blogs I read), are having fun with clothes. I'm pretty thankful for that, and I'm pretty addicted to blogs. As for my own, I'm probably going to keep posting pictures of dresses I bought for $4. I mean, when you buy an adorable heart-patterned dress for $4, you kind of want to tell the world. Or at least a small corner of the Internet.

2 comments:

Connie said...

You've got it!! We love fashion and we love looking cute and interesting and it is fun to see what other like minded people come up with. It is the stuff of life. Keep on Bloggin'! If you are the child of hippies then you will appreciate that reference :->
Connie*

Frocktasia said...

Cute outfit, that is a really sweet dress...x