Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Then Again

source

Diane Keaton's memoir "Then Again" is a great read. Who knew Diane Keaton was a writer? The book is absolutely engaging. It's about Diane's life and loves (I so enjoy everything she writes about Woody Allen) and demons and hugely about her mother. A good portion of the book is actually excerpted from her mother's diaries. I would say the whole thing is less of a Hollywood memoir and more of a meditation on living.

Living can be hard, y'all. 

Diane Keaton gets to be Diane Keaton and yet she is plagued with insecurities and anxieties. At no point does fame or fortune or sleeping with Warren Beatty make everything in the world calm and wonderful. She's funny and self-aware and oftentimes struggling. She doesn't know how beautiful or charming she is. She doesn't ever really seem to find a sense of peace until she adopts her children (Side note: It is nice to read about how wonderful children are. Sometimes I feel like I only hear about how difficult having children can be and how they take over your life in a terrible way. Diane writes about how they took over her life in a fabulous way). Her mother deals with anxiety and depression, with marriage, with an empty nest, with a somewhat restless creative spirit and, at the end of her life, with Alzheimer's. 

source
Reading this book made me surprisingly moody, but I highly suggest it. Before this, Diane Keaton was that fabulous style icon from Woody Allen movies who looked so great naked and 50-something in "Something's Got to Give." Now, I see her as a whole, real, complicated person and a talented writer as well. So: Read the book. Think about life. Consider her claim that Woody Allen has a great body.  

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an amazing book - I'll definitely be putting it on my to read list as I love biographies!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fascinating...I love reading memoirs, they are so real to the person and it's interesting to learn how people think/express themselves!

<3 cambria
jupefashion.blogspot.com

Connie said...

I LOVED this book, but of course I LURV Diane Keaton. When she talks about the particular sadness of girls I just wanted to hug her. Still, it's such an uplifting story. HUGS, Connie*

A Very Sweet Blog said...

she's been through a lot. i like her.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Melanie said...

I have always loved the characters played by Diane Keaton and am a huge fan of her style from Annie Hall. So much of her role in "Something's Got to Give" felt personal. Thanks for the recommendation of this book.

Curtise said...

You have made me want to read this book, and I'm not generally bothered about "celebrity" memoirs/biographies. So you did a good review, thank you! xx

Jessica said...

Sounds interesting. I will have to look it up next time I am in the bookstore.

Teddi said...

i favor memoirs. if she wrote it herself about herself, it's precisely the type of book i would read, & speaking of woody allen. mia farrow's book from 1997 "what falls away." i thought that book was excellent!

Kristian said...

I was watching Annie Hall the other day and then saw this in bookstore the day after... Might need to try it out.


PS I love your screen name. his Girl Friday is one of my favorite films!